If you would like to join in on the “Weekly Tummy Tuesday blog hop”, please use the above link. You can post anything about food: a restaurant review, a recipe, food photography, a funny food quote, a food song, an essay on food — anything food-related.
Pancakes, waffles, pikelets, flapjacks, crepes are all batter-type foods that just have a few different ingredients in them to make them crisper on the outside or softer on the inside, also cooked different ways like on a griddle or a waffle maker.
My Recipe for Pancakes.
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 egg yolks slightly beaten
- 2 egg whites beaten stiff
- Sift flour, sugar, and salt twice.
- Mix milk and egg yolks together, then add the flour gradually.
- Mix to smooth batter.
- Add the butter.
- Fold in egg whites.
- Bake on a hot greased griddle, when bubbles are starting to break, flip it and cook the other side. I would keep them warm in the oven on a very low heat while cooking the rest.
Ways of serving:
Lemon juice and sugar
Spread with jelly or jam and roll.
Fresh berries and whipped cream and roll.
Butter and Golden syrup. Called Maple Syrup in other parts of the world.
Or for an evening meal, roll the pancake around a cooked sausage and bacon, also nice for breakfast.
I would serve pancakes to my family for a Sunday night tea after having had a Roast meal for Sunday at lunchtime.
Pancakes and Pikelets
There really isn’t any difference between pancakes and pikelets. Pikelets are made smaller which is a nice size to have with strawberry jam and whipped cream with a coffee.
Here’s the recipe I have been using for many years for making pikelets from my grandmother.
- one cup flour,
- 1 tablespoon sugar,
- 1/2 teaspoon salt,
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar,
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda,
- 1 egg,
- Milk to mix to a stiff paste,
- 1 teaspoon melted butter
- Put all sifted dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Break in the egg and mix in milk, add last the melted butter.
- Mix well and let stand 1/2 hour.
- Drop in spoonful lots on a hot greased girdle, when all bubbles are on the top, flip the pikelet over and cook the other side.
- When cooked lift of the girdle and put on a clean tea tail on a cake rack and cook the next batch.
- When ready to serve the warm pikelets, you can serve buttered with jam or jelly or just jam and whipped cream on it.
- Eaten at afternoon or morning tea with a cup of tea or coffee.
How to Make Pancakes from Scratch
More Pancakes Recipes
Egg Free Pancakes
Eggless pancakes really do taste like the real thing
- 9 New Pancake Recipes.
Give breakfast a wake-up call with these unique pancake recipes. We take your basic batter and add savory and sweet ingredients.