A couple of weeks again I posted a recipe for valentine day.
I got quite a good response to it.
Today Sunday 28th February I was looking for ideas for Sunday’s tea.
Decide to have Steak and Mushrooms, I’m sharing the recipe I use with you.
It’s the last weekend in summer here in New Zealand, feeling a little sad with the thought of winter ahead.
750-gram piece of well-trimmed sirloin steak, (no fat)
2 teaspoons horseradish cream
2 teaspoons prepared mustard
2 teaspoons brown sugar
1 Tablespoon oil
1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
1/2 cup port or medium-sweet sherry
2 cups beef stock
4 flat (field mushrooms, chopped
6 button mushrooms, finely sliced
2 teaspoons cornflour
pepper to season
LIGHTWEIGHT ROAST POTATOES:
6 small to medium starchy (roasting) Potatoes
1-2 tablespoon olive oil
Preparing The Steak Method:
1. Heat a non-stick frying pan and when very hot add the beef fillet.
Cook quickly over a high heat, browning the fillet evenly on both sides.
Transfer to a board.
2. Mix together the horseradish cream, mustard and brown sugar.
Spread this mixture on the top and bottom of the fillet of steak.
Place on a foil-lined baking tray.
3. Place in a 220c oven, turn down to 200c and cook for 25 mins.
Set aside to rest for 10 minutes, before carving and serving with
Lightweight Roast Potatoes, freshly steamed vegetables and mushrooms.
Preparing Mushrooms Method:
1. Heat the oil in a saucepan and add the onion.
Cook over a moderate heat for 7-10 minutes until the onion is soft, but not colored.
Add the garlic and cook for a further 1 minute.
2. Add the port or sherry and simmer until reduced by half.
Add the beef stock and chopped field mushrooms and simmer until reduced to 1 1/4 cups.
Strain and return to a clean saucepan.
Add the sliced button mushrooms and simmer for 5 minutes.
3. Mix the cornflour with a little water to make a smooth paste and stir into the saucepan.
Simmer for 1-2 minutes until thickened.
Season with pepper before serving.
Lightweight Roast Potatoes Method:
1. Peel the potatoes and place in boiling salted water.
Boil rapidly for 5 minutes.
Drain and return to the saucepan.
Shake the potatoes over the heat to rough up the outside edges.
Alternatively, use a fork to score the outside of the potatoes, so that the edges are rough.
2. Roll the potatoes in the oil so that they are evenly coated and place on a baking tray.
3. Cook at 200c for 15-20 minutes until golden.
Steak Mushroom Sauce
I decided to make a Mushroom Sauce, didn’t have a nice recipe, I found one on YouTube, will try it, let you know tomorrow what I think of it.It was delicious
It was delicious, worth making, I made it with farm grown mushrooms, I think it makes a difference to what mushrooms you use.